Sunday, April 26, 2009

Four generations of fashion

My mother died four years ago today. In her memory, here's a walk down memory lane.


This picture is of my mom (on the far left) with her two older sisters. My grandma loved dressing them in matching dresses and lining them up by age. About 1954.

Another set of matching dresses, again lined up by age.

This time my uncle made an appearance in the line-up.

This is from my childhood, circa 1985. My mother obviously liked the tradition of matching dresses so she made these dresses for my sisters and me. Except she took it one step further and made a dress for herself out of the same fabric. I'm the one with the dark hair on the left. Becca's on the right and Juliann's the baby. Bald babies run in the family.

Here's the same baby dress my sister was wearing on Penny, 2007.
And the same dress on Ginger, 2009.

As soon as I learn to sew, I'll make myself and the girls matching dresses and post some pictures.

14 comments:

Amy said...

Marnie, I want to see you and your girls in matching dress SO BAD. But I think you should take it one step further and make Stephan a matching tie. Admit it, you love that idea.

Kat and Steve said...

Such cute pictures, Marnie. And a sweet post, too. I agree with Amy (whoever she is), you should go all out and make some matching outfits for the 4 of you.

Clay and Katy said...

that is so fun. i love the dress and your girls are adorable! cant wait to see what you come up with :)

Bethany Thompson said...

it was reebee!!! tell her i say hi... what is she up to? love the picture of you and your sisters together... brings back memories!

Jonathan and Rebecca said...

What a great tribute to mom and the matching dresses. I am glad to see that you are carrying on the tradition. Penny and Ginger look so cute in the dress. What ever happened to the other dresses that you and I were wearing?

The Chappells said...

Marnie, I love you for posting that. I love that you have the dress and I love that your girls get to wear them. I love your mom for making them and making them to last for generations! I'm sure she's so pleased to see Penny and Ginger in them and laughing at the thought that she has instilled such a tradition in you too!

Ann-Marie said...

I love the dresses that your Mom is wearing in the third picture. They are darling! I love "twirly" things like that on little girls.

I'm sure you miss your Mom. She has got to be proud of you.

Cristin said...

That was really sweet. Okay, seriously you really need to do the matching dresses thing. You probably only have a limited amount of time to do it before your girls get too old and against it. (You know, like teenagers.)

Kelsey said...

I had 3 sisters, and one year we got matching dresses for Easter at the Gunny Sack outlet in San Francisco. So if you don't feel like sewing, you could always make a trip up the coast. I didn't know your mom, but I'm sure she is so proud of you and the mother you are to her grandchildren.

Mom and Dad said...

I used to make matching Hawaiian shirts for all the kids when we went on vacations. Was easy to spot them in a crowd. Also, matching dresses for the girls for holidays.

Want to do a summer project? Have some fabric and patterns.

Wendy said...

Holy cow Marnie, your girls are growing so fast. I can't believe how old Ginger looks already! Their dresses are adorable. I have to admit that I make Norah match with me and Derek on holidays. We all wear the same color (Derek had to wear a matching tie, but he's a good sport about it). My mom made us all match with her too when we were little. I guess it runs in the family.

emblair said...

Can't wait to see you and your girls all matchy-matchy!!

dani and fam said...

how fun to see pics of your mom when she was little!! you guys totally look like her...i think amanda especially looks a lot like your mom. i thought you already knew how to sew?? let's see these dresses, marn!

Kristin said...

I totally remember those dresses mom made us. I remember loving the pink ribbon around the waist on mine. And the little pink buttons. Who knew mom was so fashion forward with the pink and brown? I love that you have one of those dresses and you put your girls in it. Mom would love it!!!!!!