Monday, March 30, 2009

The government thinks they can pay me to get rid of family

Me in front of the van as a robust toddler with my two sisters.

The van just failed it's smog inspection. I'm so mad. CA used to have a law that made cars older than 30 years exempt. Makes sense to me. I mean if they make it that long they've earned a little reprieve you know. But no. They changed it so that anything 1976 and newer will always have to pass smog. The van is a '76.

The last 5 years or so we've beat the system by living in UT and keeping the van registered in CA. That was an automatic waiver since we couldn't be expected to drive to CA just for a smog inspection. But now we're here and no waiver will be given. Everything that's wrong with government can be summed up in the fact that the van has to pass a smog inspection. What ever happened to rewarding people for being frugal and "wearing it out" instead of just buying it new when you can't afford it. That's what CA wants me to do. In the midst of it's own financial failings it thinks the best policy is for me to retire a perfectly functioning vehicle and buy a new one. Well for the record the van is not worn out. It's been running great. I mean it probably gets 15 miles to the gallon on the freeway, but guess what, so does every other van, truck, excursion, escalade, or whatever else that's big. Even the newer ones. Can't they respect all that the van has been through and done for a brother. Here's a drop in the bucket of highlights:

-towed our other "newer" cars to the shop when they break multiple times
-pulled a tree out of the ground at my parents house.
-brought multiple generations of Lovstedt's home from the hospital (myself and my second daughter)
- helped people move
-been a portable Motel and temporary residence in college.

The van taught me about the world. Showed me things. Took me everywhere I wanted to go. About 266,000 miles worth of places so far, with as much gear as I wanted. So when CA says to me that the state will buy my car from me for up to $1000 if I take it to a dismantler to "retire" it, I shake my fist at them. If we let them get away with this what's next? Social Security is too expensive for the state? Let's offer people money to "retire" their useless loved ones that are a drain on the system. Well, no way CA government. You are heartless van murderers and I hate you.

So now what? I have to get it repaired I guess. The guy says it runs rich under load and a carb rebuild should fix it. Who knows what that costs, but it's the principle. The van will survive until she dies in a fiery ball of glory as I drive her into the ocean.
All my girls. Present Day.

17 comments:

Grant and Stacy said...

Live on Lovestedt van!!

Kat and Steve said...

Stephan, you must keep the van alive! There is no other option than to stick it to the man (and CA). I mean what does the government(especially bankrupt CA) know about real value?


~Steve

Julie said...

Running rich under load sounds like something we should be celebrating. DIE VAN MURDERERS!

Cute pot belly. Cute sisters too. Remember playing sharks in the water in the van. We'd somehow balance our bodies laying on the tops of the seat and if you fell over, the sharks would eat you.

And if the fiery death into the ocean doesn't work out, it would make an awesome playhouse parked in your future backyard. Of course, assuming you do that, you'd have to drive it there. Who am I fooling, the Van is no stranger to stealthy operations :-)

Cristin said...

"The van will survive until she dies in a fiery ball of glory as I drive her into the ocean."

Wow, that was dramatic. Just be sure to roll the windows down before you hit the ocean so you can exit easily underwater.

When I saw you guys last Sunday in that van leaving church I actually said to Erik, "Wow, I really like them." I like the fact that you drive that van. CA is stupid. You must find a way to keep the van alive.

amy said...

A little piece of Utah died when that mighty vehicle rumbled over the state line on its way to CA. Perhaps it will return someday, laden with mountain bikes and Lovstedts? We hope so.

-Jimmy and Amy

Amy said...

I heart this post so much. And you guys.

Greg said...

You see? This is the price we (you) pay for not following your inspirations. We should've converted the van into a helicopter years ago. They don't have emission tests.

Natural history teaches us that creatures that are able to adapt are those that are most likely to persist. It is time for the van to evolve. . .

dani and fam said...

this post makes me laugh! i say drive the wheels off of it!

Paul said...

An inspirational post. We need more vans like this on our highways and byways. There would be less hunger, less crime, and more hope for our children.

Carlie said...

Good times....good times.... I remember "shark" and fighting over who got to lay in the back bed, on trips, and my favorite memory (you might have been too young Stephan-)when Chloe got into Mom's lipstick and ate it. I think it was on the way to Joel & Tracy's reception, and the fur around her mouth was all pinky red and Mom was so mad because it was her favorite "Avon" free sample lipstick she had for like 5 years.

As for the smog check, I don't get it-there's Mexicans all over Ventura County driving old cars in worse condition than the van! What do they do? Maybe you should just move to Mexico.

Carlie said...

I forgot to comment on the people in the photo...cute girls! I think Marnie has the same haircut as me and Julie right now, and Ginger kind of looks like Tati in this picture. Penny just always cracks me up!

enemyemily said...

That's right, stick it to the man.

Ditte said...

Great post, Steph! I'm sorry about the van. I'm sure you'll fix it and then it will be as good as new!

Kelsey said...

And you didn't even mention the wooden bumper, which is MUCH more green than the ozone killing plastic bumpers on today's cars. I love the color morph from the original photo to the current state.

trine k said...

oh that is tragic! Larry is going to LUV this post...good luck, I hope the van isn't too expensive to fix and that she gets to go out in style the way you've always planned!

Kelsey said...

(This is from Dave)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myzwHDf3NhY

Mom and Dad said...

Many happy memories and fun adventures! It's not just a van--it is family. Forgot just how "robust" you were as a child. Was remembering a time when you set up two bunk bed cots, put in camping equipment and two mountain bikes and still had lots of room for you and Joey Beck. Loved the post -- Mom