Monday, October 18, 2010

First Day of Preschool


I find myself in this weird, unfamiliar phase of life: I have three kids. I drive a minivan littered with crayons and dirty, unmated socks and sippy cups. I own a house that has a million unfinished projects. All my clothes have unsightly stains or pulled seams from being washed too many times. My laundry pile seems to never end. Even when I spend all day doing laundry, there's a another pile at the end of the day. Food crumbs are everywhere: the couch, the car, the floor, the girls' beds. Despite the "food up to the table only" rule, it's amazing how I find it everywhere! 

And, now I have a preschooler. When did Penny get old enough to go to preschool? I cried on our way to the school thinking about how fast she was growing up. I can't believe she'll be four next week. It feels like she was just born. (I probably said the exact same thing when I was writing about Ginger's 2nd birthday.) But seriously, why do they have to grow up so fast? 

As I pulled into the parking lot driving my Honda Odyssey, I noticed the two Odysseys in front of me and the two behind me, all with parents waiting to drop off their preschoolers. I sat there and cried for a brief minute. In my minivan. Probably in denial. We've had this minivan for five months and I'm still having a hard time accepting it. It's a great car but I still can't believe it's what I drive. Weird.

As we were getting out of the car Penny said to me, "Don't worry, Mom. I won't be gone for very long. You can have fun with Ginger and Jake while I'm at school." Thanks. Apparently she could tell I was having a hard time.

When we picked Penny up, I asked her how it went. "I had a lot of fun at school. I drew a picture but I didn't bring it home because I gave it to Ms. Ida because we have too many pictures at our house already."

This is Ginger smiling. I know. It's a shame, especially since her natural smile is so cute.


7 comments:

Kat and Steve said...

Marnie, you make me laugh. This post is so funny.

I get it though about the whole growing up too fast thing. It really isn't fair and it kind of gives me anxiety. But Penny looks SO cute all dressed up with her backpack on. She looks more and more like you the older she gets. And Ginger's pretty stinking cute too, even if she's not that photogenic!

Ann-Marie said...

No wonder we are such good friends. I have the exact same emotions you do. Just reading your post I felt like I was with you! It IS a shame. Why does time have to pass sooo quickly....(actually G and I just had this really deep conversation about this, so next time we chat I'll have to tell you about it)

I think Penny looks JUST like you in that first photo. She's beautiful! Ginger is fabulous too. I love those cheesy little smiles!

Yea for preschool!

Kelsey said...

It was so fun to see you guys last week and get my own glimpse into your minivan life! :) Your house and family are so adorable! I look at friends my age with 3 and 4 kids and can't fathom that will be my life someday.

Ashley said...

Penny is in preschool? how can this be? she is getting so old. i love the pictures of your cute kids.

Rebecca said...

I can't believe this is the phase of life you are in either. So crazy. Your kids are growing up so fast. Penny looks more and more grown up all the time, especially with her cute styled hair and now she is off to pre-school. I can't believe how much both Penny and Ginger look like you.
Keep these post coming, I love reading them.

Natalie said...

great post marnie! thanks for sharing! i felt the same way- so excited for them to move on and make friends, and so scared to enter that whole world of school- fieldtrips and book orders, calendars and reading charts. i'm not ready!!! as much as i complain and whine and have hard chaotic days, i am gonna be so sad when i only see the kids for a few hours at the end of every day. i am selfish and want them to still want me to be their best friend- ugh, motherhood----- oh and totally jealous of your van! :)

Kristin said...

What a great post! I love the cheesy smiles! I think Penny is such a sensitive kid to try and comfort you when she knew you were sad. What a sweetie! I can't believe she turns 4 tomorrow! You have such a cute family!