Monday, August 10, 2009

Devils Postpile


We went camping last month near Mammoth, California with Stephan's parents and his sister and her family. The Lovstedts camped there when they were kids so it was a fun walk down memory lane for Stephan and Julie. We did several little hikes, one of which was Devils Postpile.

It's this cool geologic formation. Being the daughter of a geologist, I was intrigued by how it formed and how it got these hexagonal shapes to the columns. It really was crazy. Apparently, it had something to do with a lava flow moving down the valley and then it cooled at varying speeds, causing the vertical jointing. Or something like that. Julie's husband, Greg, is a PhD student of geology so he had lots of explanations for what we were seeing.

These are the pillars from the side with the pile of rubble in front.

The whole group.

We took a short hike to the top of the postpile. Here's a view of the tops of the pillars.

Taking a break on top with the girls.

Penny and her cousin Chloe playing with Grandma's walking sticks.

Penny and Chloe resting on a log bench along the way.

Penny and Chloe, again. Check out Penny's knock-knees. Cute, uh?

14 comments:

Paul W. Nash said...

Mammoth Lakes is so fun! Our family used to go there for the fishing. We'll need to meet up there sometime for some camping once we're living in CA. Your girls are so cute by the way.

amy said...

Oh my gosh. Penny is growing up so much. Seriously!! You realize you're taking the pictures now that she'll look back on in 20 years and think to herself, was I ever so little? But she is really so big. Time is whacked out.

The Chappells said...

Marnie-Penny has the MOST personality in one little girl that I have ever seen. She is a riot just in pictures. I love it! And Ginger is getting so big and she is so adorable...Seriously you guys need to have only girls, and there must be 1 million of them!

Rebecca said...

So I dont know if you noticed but in the first picture, Penny looks like a little gangster, with her shades on, and her arms folded, and her body leaning in. But I would go on and add she is the cutest ganster I have ever seen. Oh and are those randomly placed pony tails I see in her hair. And she pulles off the knock knee off quite well. You seriously have the two cutest girls imaginable. I can't believe how fast they are growing up.

Kristin said...

Wow!! Penny's hair is long enough for a pig tail!!! I guess that's the look she's sporting in the pictures. Its like pig tails turned 90 degrees so they come of the top and bottom of her head instead of the sides!! I love it. Your girs are seriously the cutest ever! Ginger's smile just makes you happy!

Kat and Steve said...

That's pretty crazy, it almost looks too perfect to not be man made. I LOVE Penny's ponies!

Wendy said...

So cute... Norah was looking at these pics with me and I asked if she remembered Penny. She said yes and pointed to Penny in all the pictures. I wish we lived closer. I bet they'd be great friends. Looks like a fun vacation! Miss you guys!

Wendy said...

PS. Penny is growing up so fast... she's SO cute and Ginger. Time flies way too fast!

Rebecca said...

Well it seems like you all had fun. I was just wondering when exactly Penny became a blind gangsta? Also I think she stole the looks off the girl from Napoleon Dynamite I can’t be sure though. Just joking your daughters are too cute.

dani and fam said...

crazy! nature is fascinating.

Kelsey said...

It's amazing the tops of those posts are natural...looks almost like a man-made stone courtyard. And those pictures of Penny are classic! She's quite the camera ham.

Mom and Dad said...

Great pictures of happy times. Glad we were there to share. -- Mom

Veeda said...

Penny is so big! and has soooo much hair.

Ditte said...

These pictures must be taken before your eye injury! I don't see any blood anywhere! :)